"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Thomas Jefferson

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Bible study lessons

Over the past 6-7 weeks, I have been part of a Beth Moore Bible study called Stepping Up. It goes through the Psalms of Ascent (Psalm 120-134). During the study, we had to go through each chapter and at the end of reading each one, we had to write a phrase to remind us of each one and what it said to us personally. I just wanted to share on a couple of them that have really been a blessing to me and have been a great reminder of where Jason and I are right now (and have been for the past 2 years) :). I hope that it speaks to you in some way as well :).

The two Psalms that stood out to me are chapters 122 and 126. Psalm 122 is a prayer for Jerusalem - a Davidic song of ascents.

1 I rejoiced with those who said to me, "Let us go to the house of the Lord."
2 Our feet are standing in your gates, O Jerusalem.
3 Jerusalem is built like a city that is closely compacted together.
4 That is where the tribes go up, the tribes of the Lord, to praise the name of the Lord according to the statute given to Israel.
5 There the thrones for judgment stand, the thrones of the house of David.
6 Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: "May those who love you be secure.
7 May there be peace within your walls and security within your citadels."
8 For the sake of my brothers and friends, I will say, "Peace be within you."
9 For the sake of the house of the Lord our God, I will seek your prosperity.

The main point that I got out of this Psalm is that God will use us where we are. It doesn't matter if I'm in Oregon living with my family, in Georgia at college, or married to Jason and living in his parent's basement. God will use me. I don't have to live in a big house in order to do what He has planned for me. I don't know about you, but I find that so refreshing and liberating. After all, Jesus came to this earth as a man who lived his life in the poor community and look what He did! You don't have to have a lot of money to spread God's word, live as an example, love your neighbor, go to church, etc. How awesome is that?!

The other chapter that really stood out to me is Psalm 126. This chapter is a song of ascents of Zion's Restoration.

1 When the Lord brought back the captives to Zion, we were like men who dreamed.
2 Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, "The Lord has done great things for them."
3 The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.
4 Restore our fortunes, O Lord, like streams in the Negev.
5 Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy.
6 He who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with him.

To me, this chapter said that God blesses us in due time. God knows best. That holds true in every part of our life - when we'll find the perfect job or house, when we'll start a family, get a raise, receive a healing, etc. We just have to trust that He knows better than we do :). I struggle with that a lot, especially in the area of my job. For the past year, I have been looking for something else and nothing has come up yet. I haven't received any responses to my resume and for a while I was really frustrated and dejected, because I thought I wasn't good enough or that I wasn't doing something right. I have finally come to terms with the fact that there must be a reason why I'm still in my current position. God wants me to be there, so I need to do the best I can where I am and He will bless me when the time is right. Jason and I have been looking for a house for almost a year and things just haven't worked out yet there either. We put an offer on a house last fall and it fell through. We were a little upset at the time, but looking back right now, things would be "messed up" if we had gotten the house. We'd be in a lot of debt, in the wrong area of the state, etc. He knew what He was doing!

When I put those two points together, they really open my eyes to something bigger and better in our future. God will use us where we are right now... and He will bless us in due time. Since finding these two points, I've really leaned on them a lot and they have given me so much peace. I pray that they will help you as well. And if you get something else out of these chapters (or any others, for that matter), please share them. I'd love to find something new in His word! :) I encourage you (women) to look through the Stepping Up study or any other Beth Moore study, because they will be such a blessing in your life. I know she has some great books out there too. Her website is: http://www.lproof.org/. God bless you and have a great week of freedom in Christ :). Love ya!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are on the right track, the secrete is never stop looking and to have faith, even when we do not want to, we are emotional people GOD is stable, if anything changes it is us, moving away from HIM, HE can not move away from us...Keep your eyes on the mark and you will always do well, because you will be doing HIS will...30 years later I am still amazed and thrilled to be doing HIS will and and receiving HIS blessing! GOD BLESS YOU BOTH!