"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Thomas Jefferson

Friday, June 6, 2008

Houses!

Ok... Jason and I have found a couple of resale houses that we love and we're having a hard time deciding which one to put an offer on... maybe both?... maybe neither? I figured I'd post them here and outline a few of their main features:


This house is 3 bed, 2.5 bath and was built in 1998 (or 99, can't remember). The lot is about 3/4 acre, has trees in the front, and a large fenced back yard. It doesn't really have a formal dining room, which is in most modern houses, but I think I could deal with that. Also, it has cottage cheese ceilings, but if we felt the need, we could probably take on the job of scraping them. It has a 2-car garage, hardwoods on the main floor, master bedroom on the main, and a nice loft area at the top of the stairs that we could use for watching tv or whatever. I believe they have it priced at $205,000, which is a little over our price range, but we would have to try to negotiate. The downsides are: kitchen needs to be remodeled, small living room, cottage cheese ceilings, almost 10 years old. The upsides are: lots of space, big yards, back yard already fenced in, hardwoods on main, big garage...

This house is pretty awesome. It's a foreclosure and it's in the new construction neighborhood we've been looking at (with the Hatteras plan), except that this plan is bigger than the Hatteras...
and they're selling it for less. Win-win! It's got 4 bedrooms, 2.5 bath, 2-car garage, wrap-around "porch", which is more of just a slab, but oh well. It has hardwoods from the foyer all the way into the living room. The kitchen has a tile backsplash, stainless appliances, and granite countertops. The master is upstairs and I honestly think it (bedroom/bathroom/closet) is close to the size of our entire last apartment. Yep, it's big. The bedroom has a sitting room attached to it, so that makes it feel even bigger. There's a landing at the top of the stairs and the other 3 bedrooms are actually pretty decent sized too. We told Jonathan (Jason's older brother) that he can live with us (and pay rent) if he wants to when we move out. I'm fine with it as long as he pays. That would help with our mortgage payments :D. This house was built in 2005 and needs only a little bit of work. The back yard would need to be re-sodded and we'd have to paint just about everywhere inside (it's all the same color) and patch up a few deep scratches on a couple walls. It's in surprisingly good shape for a foreclosure. Most of the ones we've been in before were trashed before the owners moved out. The downsides of this house are: location - pretty far north, back yard needs work, small cosmetic work. Upsides, the price is only $192,500 (we'd offer less), it was built in 2005, there's a ton of space inside, the kitchen is great, hardwoods, the master is HUGE, in an established neighborhood.

I think we're going to work on putting an offer on the second house. We've been getting our mortgage paperwork in order today, and we might just meet up tomorrow or something to put the offer on it. I'll keep you all updated! I'm nervous, but excited, so please pray that if we're supposed to get this house, we will :). Thanks and have a great weekend!

P.S. - if you're wondering why there are FLDS sites on the right side of the page, I did put those there and it is for a reason. I'll explain later. No, I'm not a Mormon and I'm not going to run off and join the polygamist cult in Utah/Arizona/Texas... so don't worry ;).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AH, but if you ran off and joined the cult you could be pregnant for the rest of your life!!