"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Thomas Jefferson

Monday, January 4, 2010

So it begins...

Today is the first day of my new "diet", as I will so lovingly refer to it ;).  This, of course, following a great 2 holiday weekends in a row of amnesiac binging.  If you've never heard of that disease, it is the act of binging and forgetting to purge.  I have it pretty bad.  Anyway, I seem to do best if I jump into diets head-first, and I go at them pretty hardcore.  I either do it all the way or I have problems with it and I end up dropping it.  So... I was ready to get back on the weight-loss plan that I did last January-March and I was pumped!  That is, until I talked to Jason about it.  I was telling him about my plan and being very "gung-ho" about it, and he stopped me mid-sentence and said, "I think you should just make small changes and go about it that way... cut out soda, eat smaller portions, watch calories..."  I think I looked at him like he was an alien and said, "but I want to lose weight faster than that!" 

I think what I'm most scared about when it comes to his plan is that his plan means working out more/harder.  And even though it is much more flexible diet-wise, I feel like I would have to control myself even more than being on a strict diet.  For example, I think I would have a hard time limiting myself to a "small" slice of pie... I would almost rather just go without it.  That way, I wouldn't have the taste in my mouth, tempting me to eat more :P.  I hope I'm making sense.  Anyway, I have done really well today, and while I'm still tempted to do the hardcore diet, I'm trying to take it easy and not be quite so intense about it.

I understand Jason's way of thinking.  He wants to make sure that I don't deprive myself of foods that I will inevitably eat after I lose this weight.  Instead of cutting them out completely, losing weight, then indulging in everything that is good in this world (cheesecake!) and gaining all the weight back, he wants to make sure I keep a good balance in my diet.  Makes sense, right?  Yeah... it does.  I still want to lose the weight fast, though :).  And doing that through diet only means less working out... which means more laziness for me ;).  Agh, it's such a tough decision!  I want to be skinny, but I also want to stay that way in the future... so I guess the more gradual (to a certain extent), the better.

Anywho, what's your take on weight loss and diets?  Have you had any good/bad experiences with either?  Hope you're all having a great 2010!

Oh, and I just have to mention this real quick.  I've almost finished my first book of the year... yay for meeting goals!  It's called "The Host" by Stephenie Meyer... very interesting :).  I do recommend it!  Ok, that's all for now, folks! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lex... We r on the same page! I am trying to 400 cal meals with 2 100 cal snacks inbtwn. And of course exercise! Like you I want it to a doable situation! It is all mental don't ya think? Give it all over to God, everything in moderation and remember to enjoy this life that we are blessed to have!.., I will pray for you :) oxox and won't we be lookin great in June!