"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Thomas Jefferson

Friday, August 21, 2009

Dogs & Men

I'm slightly confused about something and I'd like to see if any of you can offer some insight :).

Why is it that men live vicariously through dogs? And it doesn't even have to be their dog... it can be any dog. I'm talking about one specific thing... not so much the sniffing & scratching, although these are also traits that they often share ;). I'm talking about neutering.

Our dog Magnum is about 6.5 months old now and it's time for him to get "fixed". Whenever I bring up the topic at work, all the guys around me go "ohhhhh!" (groaning), "don't do that! Poor dog... don't do that to him". And here is what I think in response to those remarks:

1 - The dog does not live with them, HE lives with me and I have to put up with him.
2 - They don't have to deal with him humping them.
3 - The dog is slightly hyper, which isn't a HUGE deal now, but....
4 - The dog is 80lbs and is going to be 170lbs+ as a full adult, which means...
5 - Magnum is very strong and difficult for me to handle now... I can't even imagine how it's going to be as a full adult!

So basically, he's a puppy, which means he's hyper. But he's a giant puppy and he'll be more difficult to handle as an adult, especially when he catches a whiff of a female dog in heat (I won't use the official term) :). Also, he's already tall enough to get things off of our kitchen counter and he loves tearing things up and chewing on our house (it's his chew-toy, apparently). We're getting frustrated, exasperated, and exhausted with him! We need to do something that will calm him down. Also also also... we're going to see if the vet can do a procedure on his stomach at the same time he's getting neutered. That way we won't have to worry about him bloating as much (a deathly condition for Great Danes).

Anyway, I think that covers everything pretty thoroughly. I'm just wondering if anyone has any answers for me :). I mean... women don't hold their lower abdomen and go "ohhhhh ouch!" whenever someone talks about getting their dog spayed. We don't say, "oh, my ovaries!" or anything like that :).

Ok, I guess I'm done. Men, your reproductive abilities are appreciated, but my Great Dane doesn't need to reproduce :). Ok, that's really all :).

No comments: