"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Thomas Jefferson

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Doctors

It seems like every time I get on here to post, I start out by saying how busy I am or how crazy my week has been. Once again, I've had a very crazy busy week and weekend! Will things never slow down? We thought we'd have more time when we moved into our house, but it's been the opposite. We always have something to do! Gah. Anyway... on to today's topic :).

Magnum is about 9-10 weeks old right now, so I had to take him to the vet today. He had never been there before, but as soon as we walked in, he latched on to me and was shaking. Poor guy :(. I snuggled him and told him it would be ok, so he calmed down a little bit :). The vet was excellent and I will continue to go to him in the future. He was very knowledgeable, helpful, and talked with me for about 20 minutes about general dog stuff. He gave Magnum a booster shot, clipped his nails, did a fecal test, and checked a bunch of other stuff. Magnum was SO GOOD! He was such a good boy... he didn't whine or bark or anything... I'm such a proud momma! :)

Last night while we were at home, I started getting some tight chest pains. They were very unpleasant and I didn't know what was going on. Growing up, I had occasional heart palpitations so I assumed it was a problem with my heart... and of course I assumed the worst; a heart attack or something leading up to one. I took an Advil, tried to relax, took a bath, and prayed that it wasn't anything serious. I stayed home today to avoid stress from work and went to the doctor this afternoon. After telling him my symptoms, he immediately had me get an EKG (aka echo cardiogram) to make sure everything was ok with my heart. Well... I'm happy to report that he said my results were "beautiful" and that I didn't have anything relating to a heart attack. Instead, he said I have Costochondritis, which is basically inflammation of the cartilage that connects the ribs to the sternum and it causes chest pain that mimics that of a heart attack. Good to know, huh :). He said the only things I can do are to take Advil for the pain and try to avoid sleeping on my left side (which is what I do right now). I'm really happy to have this problem solved, because I've been dealing with the pain for a while... I never went to the doc before about it, because (1) I'm stubborn and (2) I didn't want to have my blood taken. Anyway, now I don't have to worry about it anymore :). Wahoo, I didn't have a heart problem! :)

Please pray for Jason, though. His allergies are being really awful and he was up all night last night because of them. He took some Nyquil about an hour ago (yep, at 7:45) and is already in bed. I'm staying up to watch The Biggest Loser, though :D.

Speaking of losing weight, I have good news! I hit a plateau in the middle of March with my weight loss and was almost giving up on continuing with the program. However, I'm happy to announce that I've lost another 2 pounds in the last week without really even trying! So that's enough to get me back on track and I'm hoping to continue dropping the pounds. It's a great feeling to have your clothes fit loosely. My goal is to fit into some clothes that I bought but was never able to wear. They still have the tags on them! I'll keep you all updated on my progress. I want to reach my goal so that I can donate my hair to Locks of Love, so I need to stay focused on that :).

Ok, that's all for now. I hope you all had a great Easter! Please leave me some comments and let me know how you're doing :).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lex,

you scared me there for a minute! I am so Thankful that it is not your heart! poor baby that must have scared you too!
Congrats on losing weight! Way to go...Did I tel you that I joined the Eagle challenge throught the Blue Mt Eagle? you can log onto see the teams..there are 25, 7 man teams this time with a chance of the winning team winning about 300.00 a piece! cool huh...Tell Magnum Congrats for being a perfect dog at the vet! and you to! hehehehe oxoxoxoxo Shi~

Dawn Jenkins said...

I enjoyed your blog...congrats on loosing weight!!!
Visiting through lynnettekraft.blogspot.com!!!
Have a great day