"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Thomas Jefferson

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ramblings...

I have lots of stuff going on in my head this morning, so here are a few of the things...

Today is the 7 year anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. I remember the day it happened... I was a freshman in college in Salem, OR. I woke up around 7 to take my shower and everyone (who was awake) had their radios and televisions turned on to the news - the only thing they were talking about was the attacks on our country. I ran back to my room and turned my radio on to listen. I didn't really know what the World Trade Center buildings were, but I knew it was something big. They were also talking about the Pentagon and White House being targets as well. I had a sick feeling in my stomach... my roommate was in bed sleeping and woke up annoyed because my radio was so loud. I had to explain to her what had happened and soon everyone in my dorm was up and watching tv in the small lounge on our floor. It was surreal... and I wasn't even directly affected by it. The fact that our country was under attack was just heartbreaking and scary. Classes were canceled that day and we all joined in the chapel for a special service of prayer. What a day! I remember the pictures, the videos... the people jumping off of the top of the buildings to their death below... the audio of people stuck in the rubble, crying for help... the stories of the heroic firemen and others who kept going back in to save others... people running through the streets of New York, some looking for safety, others looking for loved ones. I'm in tears right now as I'm thinking about all of this. I said a prayer this morning for the friends and families of the victims... I can't imagine what they've had to go through. I just pray that their memories will always be honored and respected by the people and leaders of our country. I also pray that this November, the people of this great country will elect a leader (with a backbone) who will prevent anything like this from happening again. Please remember the victims and those who risked and gave their lives on that day.

Changing Gears - Atlanta's new policy for giving money to panhandlers:
Atlanta turns to donation meters to curb panhandling - What do you think about this? I guess it's a good way to make sure all the homeless/needy get a portion of donations, but it kind-of worries me. It seems to me that these boxes will make it a lot more convenient for people giving donations to get robbed... or for the boxes to be huge targets for people to break into and take the money inside. These things had better be like safes with combination locks or something equally secure.

This is a fun quiz I just took... hopefully this link will work:

I am Elizabeth Bennet!


Take the Quiz here!



I know I had other things to write about, but I can't remember what they were anymore :P.

Anyway, please keep in mind the people who were affected by 9/11. It's going to be a really tough day for them.

No comments: