"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Thomas Jefferson

Friday, July 11, 2008

Ideas and Updates

Update

It's been quite an eventful last few months for Jason and I. A lot of times it seems like nothing is changing for us, because we still have his car payment, we're still living in his parent's basement, we're still looking for a house, we're still in our same jobs, etc. But when I look back, we've accomplished so much and been so blessed in nearly everything we've done.

At the beginning of the year, we had a car loan of nearly $18,000 to pay off and I will be so excited in a couple weeks to announce that it will be paid off completely. Praise God! That is definitely an answered prayer. After his car is paid off, we plan to sit down and discuss our house plans - do we look into new construction or do we wait and look at resales and foreclosures? Either way, we're planning a November move-in date. That will be another reason for celebration (and get-togethers!).

Also, in about 2 weeks, we'll "celebrate" being the teachers of our Sunday school class for a year! It's been so much fun coming up with lessons and (hopefully) giving the kids information that they'll remember down the road.

We've made lots of new friends and gotten closer to ones we should've spent more time with in the past. We've discussed more of our future. We've explored other career paths. We've watched our financial situation slowly improve. We've watched other couples as they got married and are now starting families. What a great time! We really have been blessed :).

Finally, in about 7 weeks, Jason and I will be celebrating our 2 year wedding anniversary. Whew... I can't believe it's been 2 years already! Part of our wedding cake is still in my mother-in-law's freezer (no joke)!!! :)

Ideas

Over the past couple of months, I've been trying to figure out what I really want to do with my life. I have a business background and tons of hobbies, so I'd like to somehow find a good mix of the two. I've thought about going into accounting further because I really enjoy working with numbers and seeing things balance out. I've also thought about exploring the crazy world of catering. I LOVE to cook/bake and to come up with new recipes by experimenting with old ones and adding my own personal touch. When I went to Boise State University (for 1 semester), they had a culinary arts center on campus and I contemplated getting a double major in business management and culinary arts, then opening my own catering business. I still have the same interest, however I don't have the "official" training. I have a ton of ideas floating around, but I haven't put them all together and organized them yet. I also love planning events, so I'm sure that could fit in there somewhere too. I've thought about working at a nice hotel or some other place where I can be in the middle of weddings, family reunions, etc.... all of those fun, crazy, stressful situations :D. I don't know, though. Does anyone have any advice on this matter? I can use any and all the help I can get!

Hobbies

One thing I've come across that I'd really like to learn as a hobby is graphic design. I'm currently in the beginning stages of planning a baby shower for a friend and I want to design the invitations myself. They'll probably end up being a whole lot more simple than the picture I have in my head, but I really want to give it a shot. I'd also like to learn graphic design for the sake of jazzing up my blog a little with a cute layout and stuff like that. I don't think I would take it as far as starting a business, but I think it would be a lot of fun :). Does anyone know what program/s I would need to get started with this? Ones that are free would be best :D. I might download Adobe InDesign, but it only has a 30-day trial, then it costs $699 to buy :P.

Another hobby I mentioned a few days ago that is taking off again is my embroidery. I started sewing blocks for my "Peanuts" quilt a couple of days ago. My first one is Lucy and I'm really excited about it :). I'll have to take pictures of them as I go along.

Well, I guess that's about all for now. If you have any ideas or tidbits of advice for me, please let me know! I hope you all have an awesome weekend :).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs Snooks!

RC here,

Here comes your first set of information! LOL!

Adobe products tend to be fairly specialized. InDesign is a desktop publishing package, designed for publishing magazines or newsletters (although that's a lot of power just for a newsletter).

You *could* do your stationary designs with InDesign, but that's not really the product for it.

Photoshop or Illustrator is probably a better choice for your stationary work. If you let me know exactly what you want to put on the stationary, I can tell you which of the two products is better suited for your idea.

GIMP - http://www.gimp.org/
Is a free image editing program. I use Photoshop myself, but I know that GIMP is very powerful and used by many graphics professionals. And you can't beat that price!

More info later!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs Snooks!

RC again,

Think about, and try to describe something you want to put on a stationary. Try to break it down into details.

For example, describe it in details like this -


I want to see a building.

It's on fire.

A firetruck is in front of the building.

A prom queen is putting out the fire.

A text message is over the top of all of this.

The background is white.

Everything looks real, like a photo, not like a cartoon.


This will give me a basic idea of what you're looking for. Then I can point in in the right direction.

Anonymous said...

Hey fellow Chick-Fil-A fan!

RC once again.

I looked at the graphics on the blog site you talked about.

Very cool!

They look like digital version of scrapbooking images. I like the look of them.

You asked if they made those images themselves. Possibly.... But I think they gathered the images (via photos, scanning, clipart, etc) and assembled them using something like Photoshop (or GIMP).

You asked about getting the stationary printed. You could do it yourself if you have a nice printer. But lately I've been printing at a chain called CopyIt. The quality is outstanding at about 75% of what it was costing me to print at home.

Anonymous said...

Me again

Breaking down the ‘Once Upon a Blog’ header image.

The main background is a blue fabric or wallpaper print.

On top of this is pink fabric with rough edges. It’s casting a shadow. The pink fabric has graphic swirls, hearts and butterflies in the right corner. These graphics are in darker pink and designed to look like it’s printed on the fabric. The letters ‘nce’ and ‘pon’ of the title are also designed to look like they are printed on the fabric. They are in the same color as the aforementioned swirls. There are also 3 flowers which appear to be embroidered.

A striped fabric appears at the bottom of the graphic. It contains very slight shadowing, which gives the impression that it’s closer to the background then the pink fabric discussed above.

A green ribbon and green price tag are both on top of the pink fabric casting shadows.

The word ‘blog’ appear on the price tag and casts its own shadow. The word is made up of a pattern based on the striped fabric at the bottom of the page. The letters are outlined in black.

The letters O U and A appear in a large font in a woodcut style. They cast a shadow on the pink background.

A graphic of a girl with a pencil and laptop is on the pink fabric. It is partially shadowed.

A green line separates the pink fabric and the striped fabric. It casts a lower shadow. The shade of green is the same as the girl’s laptop, necklace and hairband.

4 rings appear to be intertwined among this green line.

The words ‘My Portfolio’ appears over all of this in the same dark pink used above. The text is outlined in black and casts a shadow. The font is a handwriting style script.

Lastly the whole image is outlined in pink.

Lex said...

Wow, very detailed! I guess my question now is, what do I do with all of that information? It definitely helped to point out subtle details here and there and kinda break it up to show the heading piece-by-piece. I guess I need to try to find a scrapbooking website or something for the patterns/graphics? I'm sorry I'm such a newbie at this!

Anonymous said...

HEY LEX,

WAS SEEING THAT YOU WERE LOOKING FOR A SCRAPEBOOK SITE, MY SISTER AMY IS very INVOLVED IN ONE...SHE IS SO HERE IT IS....

Ahttp://www.scrapbook.com/profiles/224161.html MAJOR SCRAPEBOORER...


GOOG LUCK SHI